The Canadian School of Peacebuilding has released a new book called Voices of Harmony and Dissent: How Peacebuilders are Transforming Their Worlds, which is a collection of stories from peacebuilders around the world giving insight into their work in a broad range of contexts and practices. Buy before June 15, and you’ll receive over $260 in bonus peacebuilding materials. In launching their book, Canadian School of Peacebuilding is planning to:
- give away $550,000 in peace training resources, compliments of Canadian School of Peacebuilding, Resolution Skills Centre, Peace Research: Canadian Journal of Peace and Conflict Studies and York Zimmerman Inc.
- raise at least $50,000 for peace organizations, including CSOP, Mennonite Central Committee, Peace and Justice Studies Association, Peace and Collaborative Development Network, Mediation Services, Northeast Asia Regional Peacebuilding Institute, Mindanao Peacebuilding Institute, Conscience Canada, Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW),and Karuna Center for Peacebuilding
John Paul Lederach, author of The Moral Imagination says this about the book: “Voices of Harmony and Dissent holds the heart of how social change happens—people who believe deeply, develop significant relationships, and have the courage to engage together. Each and every chapter provides lessons, inspiration and, most importantly, has a deep resonance that rises from these voices of hard-won experience and reflective practice, an authenticity that touches the reader and points us toward the kind of learning that really makes a difference in our world.” Until June 15, when you purchase Voices of Harmony and Dissent, you can get, for free, these bonuses valued at $260:
- Journal – One year e-subscription – Peace Research: Canadian Journal of Peace and Conflict ($50 value)
- Peace and Justice Studies Association ($100 value)
- Training Manual – Victim Offender Mediation Manual from Resolution Skills Centre ($25)
- Computer Game – People Power – The Game of Civil Resistance ($10 value)
- Newsletter – Canadian School of Peacebuilding Engaged eNetwork of Peacebuilders
- Training Video – Peacebuilding Beyond Borders ($100 value)
- Training Video – Sampler Course from 2015 Canadian School of Peacebuilding ($75 value)
PLUS – everyone who buys the book is entered into a draw for a 1-year free membership with Peace and Justice Studies Association ($100 value) This collection is a valuable resource for peacebuilders around the world. Too often we work at peace but don’t have time to share our stories. Institutes like Canadian School of Peacebuilding have the opportunity to share those stories among diverse peacebuilders. Through Voices of Harmony and Dissent, authors are able to reach an even broader audience, inspiring those working for peace in their contexts. The stories range from discussion of political, environmental, economic, and social issues from the local to the global and give examples of how peacebuilders respond with creativity to situations of violence and conflict. The contributors frequently draw on indigenous knowledges, which are often overlooked in dominant North American literature. Although the organization of the chapters could have been more effective if intentionally rather than alphabetically arranged, the book still flows as a whole, connected by the attention to relationship and authenticity demonstrated by the writers’ stories. This book is a volume to return to for peace educators seeking to grow in their understanding and practice of peacebuilding.
Thanks for letting people know about this. We might be able to use the book at our summer or winter conferences.
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 20:55:10 +0000
I just ordered it! Very excited to read these stories and to check out the free bonus material as well.